Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Snip snip snip that is the sound of Clara quietly cutting out painted animals from her paint-with-water colouring book. She has a system; first she paints the picture, then she sets it aside to dry. When it is dry she carefully cuts out the animal (asking for tape if she accidentally cuts off a leg) and then uses it as a paper doll and walks it around the table talking in a strange animal-ish voice. A couple of months ago if you gave Clara scissors and a shape to cut out all you would hear was tyrade of frustrated words ending with the scissors skidding across the table and her arms folded firmly in front of her. Her fingers just wouldn't do what her brain wanted them to do but now, watch out world, this girl has got some serious manual dexterity!

Yesterday, Clara and I made muffins while Leo napped (yes, the kid who rarely sleeps during the day took a NAP!). After the batter was done I tossed her the package of paper muffin cups and slid the muffin tray in front of her. I didn't even think about how I used to have to separate the muffin cups for her, how they'd stick together and need to be pried apart by a little flick of the forefinger and thumb. Well, wouldn't you know it, my girl deftly placed one muffin cup in each spot and even noticed when two had stuck together - it was easy for her!

I'm in awe of my kid today, its a great feeling.

1 comment:

Patricia said...

Each time I read the opening to this entry "snip, snip, snip" I think to myself that can't be good. I have visions of things like bedsheets, toys, or hair being cut haphazardly.