- Went into the changing room before and after swimming lessons without a grown up. Marc and Leo accompanied her to swimming this morning as I was going to a tea tasting with friends.
- Hugged Leo when his scrape was hurting him and got out a band aid for him.
- Went bicycling and practiced gliding.
- Took an afternoon nap (we had to convince her weekend napping is something grown ups love)
- Went out to eat at a nice restaurant and ordered for herself in French.
Clara is really craving more independence these days. She comments on every kid she sees walking or biking without an adult. She imagines what they might be doing; going to visit a friend, going to the store, etc. We are tying to find ways to allow her to increase her independence while maintaining her security and our peace of mind. Some of the things that we've been doing more often is giving Clara the house keys and letting her open the door when we get home, giving her a good head start when we're walking to/from school or the pool (two routes she knows well), giving her money to pay for things at stores, etc. So far these little things mean a lot to Clara but I can see she's always waiting for the next "grown up thing" she can do. In fact, during dinner last night Clara asked Marc and I what time we liked best, being a kid or being a grown up. She has a hard time believing adulthood is not the best possible time in one's life. Oh, she has so much to learn!