Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Clara had her first real learning experience with money today. We were at the thrift store and she came across a lovely deep fuchsia leather handbag (I'm not kidding, it really is nice).

She wanted it.

It cost $3.00.

I did not feel moved to buy her a gift without reason today. There are days when I feel little unexpected gift purchases are okay but today was not one of those days, it probably had something to do with the fact that I'd just dropped $13.00 on some really good thermal socks for her. Anyway, I casually said "If you really want the purse, you'll have to buy it with your own money." She started to cry "but my money is at home, we'll have to come all the way back and its too cold...." I had not expected that reaction, so I decided to offer to lend her $3.00 to buy the purse right away and then she would pay me back when we got home with the money from her piggy bank. She agreed and we went over the details of the transaction a few more times before I handed over my toonie and a dollar worth of silver. She bought the purse and jauntily held it in the crook of her elbow all the way home (wearing her full snowsuit of course because it really was freezing out there!). About a block from home she started to whimper, I asked what was going on and she said "I'm not going to have any money left! I don't want to give you my money" AGHHHHHH!

Oh Boy, I think to myself, now I've got to settle this account in a way that makes sense to her and teaches her the value of money - should be a fun lunchtime today. Thankfully, with the help of some props and a store purchase re enactment, the concepts of paying for something and borrowing from me started to make sense. By the end, the most troublesome aspect of paying me back was letting go of her "big moneys" ie her toonie or her two loonies. We negotiated and she ended up paying me back with one of her loonies, four quarters, and 10 dimes!

I'll snap a picture of the lady and her purse asap and post it, it reminds me of Patricia's red leather purse that Clara had such an affinity for back when she was 2.

1 comment:

Patricia said...

When I come to visit can I walk around with the new purse and put little screwdrivers in it?