Friday, July 04, 2008

Here is my 6 year-old. How will I ever get used to saying that??? Her birthday was certainly one to go down in the history books. There were some very clear highs and one low. These pictures show the good times...

Awake, dressed, fed and waiting for her birthday presents.

Admiring her Polly Pocket set.

I never did reach out the camera again after our morning photo shoot. That my friends, is the sign of a busy day :) I wanted to spend Clara's birthday doing something she would enjoy so we decided on the wading pool (she would have preferred a full sized pool but I knew Jayne and Moiya were planning on a get together at Parc Jeanne Mance so I steered us in that direction). To sweeten the deal I suggested we take our first bike ride as a threesome. This went great... on the way to the park.

We had a lovely communal picnic lunch, and spent some time splashing about in the wading pool. Then we got ready to bike back home. With Jayne and Max waving us off Clara head down the path that crosses the middle of Parc Jeanne Mance. This nice, wide, smooth path is a bit deceiving. It is also on a pretty steady decline. As we picked up speed (I was riding behind Clara) I saw her start to waver, then wobble then..... OUCH ouch ouch ouch. it was awful. she went flying off her bike and landed with a wail right in front of 3 old Portuguese men. We all rushed to her in a flurry of panic and I picked her up. Jayne and Max came running down the path and there was a whole lot of concerned glances passed between us grown ups. Of course, all that was coming out of my mouth were reassurances "it's okay sweetie, you're all right, I've got you, etc." In the end my six year-old celebrated her birthday with two very skinned knees (she'll have the scars to prove it) and some road rash on the palms of her hands. We went back to Jayne's house where we patched up my brave girl and ended up spending the remainder of the afternoon playing.

Since it was her birthday and there was a big 'ole lemon-marscapone cake waiting for her at home, Clara invited Jayne and Max to come home with us for dinner. On the way we met up with Yannick, Eva, Lea, and Naomie and invited them all over for cake. It was a lovely end to a special day.


No comments: