Saturday, March 27, 2010

RIP Lily :( Last weekend was had to get Lily the rat euthanized. It was unexpected but the decision was not difficult. It won't go into the details but I'll just say it was a traumatic event for Clara, Leo and I (Marc had stayed home, we hadn't expected the vet's prognosis). The waiting room at the vet's office must have gotten quite an earful listening to the sobs of two truly heartbroken kids.

Marc's explanation on the pain of grief has certainly helped Clara, she asked if she would always hurt and cry every night. He told her "the pain from your sadness will fade over time even though you are sad and will always miss Lily." He was right, a week has passed and Clara is doing much better.

Rosie is home with us and has been getting LOTS and lots of extra attention. She is much loved.

Yes, I am also thinking what you are all thinking - all this emotional turmoil over rats!?!? What can I say, a pet is a pet :)

2 comments:

*Jess* said...

We would feel the exact same way over squeaky! Poor Clara (hug)

Trina said...

As I was reading I was not at all thinking, "all this over rats?"...instead I felt sad for you all, and Marc's comment on grief really got me. Poor Clara and Leo! (Glad they are bouncing back, though.)