Monday, April 16, 2007

Snow + rain + slush = YUCK, yuck, yuck!!!

I made my treks back and forth to the Carrefour today, each one was an an adventure unto itself. Admittedly, the cab adventure this morning was the least harrowing of the 4 trips but it did present its own challenges (namely the giant puddle with floating chunks of ice at the front door to the Carrefour). The last walk was certainly the most frightening; in an attempt to avoid large piles of slush and snow created by snowplows on the corners of the smaller streets, I decided to walk down Saint Denis. The wind was whipping up the street and screeching in our ears, all of a sudden, just ahead of us, a HUGE piece of a building fell onto the sidewalk. It looked like it was the top decorative moulding of the building, it was definitely made of some stone-like material. Anyway, I did not panic outwardly, I just commented that it would be dangerous to try to pass by the debris and made a quick U-turn and headed back up the street. We walked down the next street over instead and soon heard the blaring sirens on a firetruck on the way to the scene.

We made it home safe and sound but of course now I can't get the what-if images out of my head. What if we'd been walking just a bit faster, what if we'd caught the green light instead of the red, what if, what if, WHAT IF?????

1 comment:

Natasha said...

Oh my gosh! That's so frightening...so glad no one got hurt.